Ads

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Kul Pooja - I

In most of the literature or article I have found, where its mentioned that Magars are either Buddhist or Hindu. Hindu you can say, looking at the present culture we are following but we were never always Hindu or Buddhist. My personal perception perception is that magars are actually Nature worshippers. Still in most our religious act we dont required Bahuns for performing pooja, but again if you see by the perspective of those magar people where the influence of Bahun culture is much you might feel its wrong. But this what I am sharing to you is actually my personal observation.

First of all most of the Magars doesnt even know magar language, what can we expect from them. In one of our most celebrated festival thats Kulayan Pooja we dont need Bahuns. I am sure this is actually the Magars real festival, before Dashain and Tihar brought by Khas people. In every Magar village there are different devtas worshipped by them without the help of Bahun.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Richa, this issue is deeply anthropological. There have been many research on it. I'm not an expert and I haven't even studied it properly. But I know through my sociological studies that Magars as a Mongoloid group is the one has been most influenced by Hindu culture (i.e. the culture of Bahun n Chettris). That's the reason why they've lost their language and even their customs are mixed with Hindu culture.

    Also, in my villages and places, when Bahuns n Chettris migrated and settled down with Magars and Gurungs, they adopted their local deities and made them Hindu gods (e.g. linked it to either Shiva or Vishnu). Hence, you'll find Magar pujaris in lots of temple.

    I haven't studied the Magars' link to Buddhism but most Gurungs are Buddhist, unless those that have been heavily influenced by Bahun Chettri culture.

    This is a fascinating discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shalay,

    To be frank no one is expert here whtever i have mentioned here is based on my studied or observation knowledge and the knowledge increase by sharing it.

    Shalay I m pretty much in the same line with u. History too has proven that if one culture has to rule on others either it has to be forced on others or embrace other culture to show that the other one is part of their culture.

    In magar case its latter. There is no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both you guys... but I am all happy to read your blog and comments on it.
    I am a Magar and I am very much love to be termed as Hindu as well.. for me that is my Identity...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.... Nikki for your valuable comments...

    To be precise, here I am talking about how we have arrived at this stage. Its not like that you are feeling anything wrong. The only thing is that that has been imparting to you since you have been born and its natural to feel so, even I feel the same. But the only thing I want to emphasise is that we are not truely from Aryan background... from which Hindu philosiphy has come into sub-continent.

    ReplyDelete